History of St. Andrew's
The congregation of St. Andrew's Lutheran Church was organized by eleven members on June 22, 1947. During the first years in which they gave glory to God, services were conducted in the basement of a home, in rented halls, and in the present church basement. These humble facilities served as places of worship during the initial ten years of the congregation.
Since September of 1956 the members of St. Andrew's have gathered to give God glory in our present sanctuary. This structure, which was built to accomodate 225 worshipers, was financed through the Synod's Church Extension Fund.
Through the years, St. Andrew's has led lots of young children to the feet of Jesus. Many children have learned of Jesus in Sunday School and Vacation Bible School. Then for over 50 years our Christian Day School was a blessing for many children. In 1957 classes were conducted for the Kindergarten and first grade. One grade was added each year until our school had all eight grades. Our school stayed in operation for many blessed years, until the spring of 2012 when it was closed.
We still do offer a preschool program at Saint Andrew's. It is now called Little Lamb's Preschool, and the preschool teacher is Joan Tjernagel. Our preschool continues to bring little children to Jesus, and also training them to get ready for their first years of grade school. We continue to pray that God allow Little Lambs to be a blessing to the little children for many years to come.
St. Andrew's Lutheran Church is a member of the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod (WELS)., the third largest Lutheran church body in America, which began in Milwaukee in 1850. It is our prayer that the Lord will continue to bless our congregation as he has for over 65 years. Through the years, there has been the blessed opportunity to testify to the truth of the Gospel and to share this truth with all who have come and gone over the years. All are welcome at St. Andrew's, where we are all individuals that share a common faith in the Savior and who come together to worship and serve him.